IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Notifications paper

Re: IPP> Notifications paper

Jay Martin (jkm@underscore.com)
Fri, 15 May 1998 11:26:23 -0400

Don has done a great job of hitting the nail on the head
with respect to the length and detail of the latest Notifications
proposal.

I respectfully submit that the Washington DC meeting spend
the time NOT on reviewing the proposal (as submitted), but
instead back off to the point of discussing reasonable
*scenarios* for requiring notifications.

All too many times we write up "requirements" documents
that virtually hide the underlying scenarios with respect
to firm, existing application environments. (By "application"
I mean "how the concept is to be used", and not a particular
piece of software or software category.)

I'd like to discuss the usage and requirements for notifications
at this kind of level:

"I need a car for commuting to work. What kind of car
would be appropriate?"

Rather than discussing requirements like this:

"The vehicle needs four tires, each rated at 40,000 miles/year."

Skip the details. Let's talk about real-world, pragmatic
environments and how notifications need to work in those
environments.

And during those discussions, if someone utters words to
the effect of:

"Perhaps someone someday somewhere needs to be able to..."

then that person gets the AXE. (Literally... ;-)

...jay

-- JK Martin | Email: jkm@underscore.com --
-- Underscore, Inc. | Voice: (603) 889-7000 --
-- 41C Sagamore Park Road | Fax: (603) 889-2699 --
-- Hudson, NH 03051-4915 | Web: http://www.underscore.com --