IPP Mail Archive: IPP> 1284.3 and 1284.4

IPP> 1284.3 and 1284.4

Ravi S (ravi@india.ti.com)
Mon, 18 May 1998 15:31:46 +0530

How do I get the specs for 1284.3 and 1284.4? Is a draft for these
available on the Web?

Best Regards, Ravi

| Ravi Subramanian | Email: ravi@india.ti.com |
| Texas Instruments Inc |

----- Begin Included Message -----

From: Harry Lewis <harryl@us.ibm.com>
To: <robert.herriot@Eng.Sun.COM>
Cc: <ipp@pwg.org>, <sdp@pwg.org>
Subject: Re: SDP, IPP>PRO Proposal for TIPSI-like protocol
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 19:52:15 -0400
Sender: owner-ipp@pwg.org

One thing it would buy is a simpler (than 1284.4) way to flow IPP over =
bidi
parallel - no? Isn't this basically what Lexmark has found? I'm confuse=
d why
TIPSI has a packet structure, Lexmark was shipping it on parallel and t=
hen .4
was invented - maybe some background could help (I always thought it wa=
s to
flow SNMP over parallel ;-). If it's true that the .1 packet is only st=
ill
there for legacy I might buy Bob's argument. But I suspect .4 is a much=
more
complex implementation.

Bob, doesn't your proposal say we would have to invent a transport (if =
not
already there) to "IPize" every physical layer (ex. serial)?

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

owner-ipp@pwg.org on 05/06/98 05:32:34 PM
Please respond to owner-ipp@pwg.org