IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> review of IPP documents

RE: IPP> review of IPP documents

Paul Moore (paulmo@microsoft.com)
Fri, 29 May 1998 17:25:07 -0700

Typically (take MS for example). The firewall and the proxy are quite
differnt things. The proxy is an enabler and the firewall is a protector.

None of our internal network has 'real' IP addresses -I can, however use our
proxies to browse anywhere on the net. Our firewall has the task of
prtecting only a limited number of servers that are connected to the
Internet (mail gateways fore xample and the proxies).

today I can use IPP from my desktop machine to print to an IPP printer on
the INternet using our proxy. If I were to move to a different port then I
would not be able to do this - most proxies only work with a defined set of
protocols on well-known ports (HTTP, FTP mainly)