IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Identifying jobs in requests

Re: IPP> Identifying jobs in requests

Carl Kugler (kugler@us.ibm.com)
3 Jun 1998 16:42:37 -0000

> > The reason we have URIs in the message body is that from very early on we
> > decided to rely on URIs as object identifiers WITHIN the core IPP protocol.
>
> But there is no reason to put a Printer identifier inside a request that is addressed to the Printer that reads the request.
>
> At one time, people were proposing some kind of dispatching or routing IPP Object that would receive IPP requests and route them based on the embedded "printer-uri". But the final decision was that the HTTP Request-URI and the embedded "printer-uri" MUST be the SAME. Therefore the IPP Object that receives the request must be the target.

I should point out that the same argument applies to "job-uri". The only exceptional case is that of a Job being accessed by "job-id" through its containing Printer. In that case, the target is the Job, identified by "job-id", but the Object receiving the request is the Printer.