IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> review of IPP documents

Re: IPP> review of IPP documents

Carl-Uno Manros (manros@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 12:18:10 PDT

At 06:49 PM 5/29/98 PDT, Ned Freed wrote:
>> You miss the point. The fact that people already have port 80 proxies
>> installed doesn't matter. There's no way that we're going to standardize
>> IPP on port 80 - HTTP already has that port, and IPP is a different
>> service than HTTP.
>
>> Once upon a time, a lot of people had email only access to the Internet.
>> That wasn't an good reason for forcing every service to run over email.
>
>My favorite example is email over FTP. We'd still be doing email that way
>if we hadn't deployed a new email service on a separate port.
>
> Ned

Ned,

If this is your favorite example, why have I not heard you arguing that
IFAX cannot be done over SMTP?

Carl-Uno
Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros@cp10.es.xerox.com