IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Re: Implications of introducing new scheme and port

Re: IPP> Re: Implications of introducing new scheme and port

Jay Martin (jkm@underscore.com)
Fri, 05 Jun 1998 11:27:12 -0400

I interpreted Larry Masinter's proposal as being one in which
clients and servers would talk in terms of ipp://host/printer,
but in practice map this (internally) to http://host:nnn/printer
when conducting the actual wire protocol.

If, on the other hand, he is actually suggesting a new kind
of aliasing mechanism (as you've pointed out below), then I,
too, have some doubts as to whether firewalls, proxies and
web servers would handle that; or, more importantly, whether
the vendors would *want* to address that capability in their
products.

Also, I don't think Keith was suggesting that IPP not use HTTP,
although I may have misinterpreted his statements.

...jay

-- JK Martin | Email: jkm@underscore.com --
-- Underscore, Inc. | Voice: (603) 889-7000 --
-- 41C Sagamore Park Road | Fax: (603) 889-2699 --
-- Hudson, NH 03051-4915 | Web: http://www.underscore.com --