IPP Mail Archive: Re: RE: IPP> Identifying jobs in requests

Re: RE: IPP> Identifying jobs in requests

Carl Kugler (kugler@us.ibm.com)
5 Jun 1998 23:48:12 -0000

> I used the term endpoint loosley (and I think inconsistently).
>
> I think we agree in your last but one para (we just prhased it differently).
> If we took printer-URI and job-URI out of IPP we would arrive at the
> situation we both want. JOB-ID then identifies jobs.

I think we are approaching group consensus on this. I propose that we remove "printer-uri" and "job-uri" as request Operation attributes, but leave them in their special position in the protocol.

> With regards to your last point I think you hit a deeper problem: - the IPP
> model is over-simple today. We do need a higher level construct in the
> receiving agent (printer, server, peripheral, what ever you call it). Having
> 'printer' as the highest level is too restrictive. Even LPR allows for a
> given transport endpoint to serve multiple named devices. You could say that
> each printer has a different URL (or TCP port numher maybe). I thing we need
> to be able to do things like enumerate printers (which you canot do with
> some high level agent)

IPP originally had a Server object in the model. Looking at the archives from March and May 1997, the group consensus apparently was that the Server itself had no important attributes or operations, so didn't need to be an addressable entity in IPP, and so should be removed from the model. Certainly, in the current model, a single software server might support multiple Printers (distinguished, by, e.g., a segment in the "abs_path" of the printer URIs). I agree that there is no way (in IPP) to invoke an operation like Enumerate-Printers on such a server, but the group considered this and decided it wasn't needed. The discussion was pretty spread out, but some of it appears in ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MOD/minutes/970514-model-minutes.txt

- Carl