IPP Mail Archive: RE: RE: IPP> Identifying jobs in requests

RE: RE: IPP> Identifying jobs in requests

Robert Herriot (robert.herriot@Eng.Sun.COM)
Mon, 08 Jun 1998 13:24:08 -0700

--=====================_6796152==_.ALT

Charset clearly needs to be at the beginning so that a receiving process
knows how to decode string fields before it encounters any of them. The
charset field is a string field, but the names are all ASCII so the decoding
need not be known for the class of encodings that IPP support. BTW, XML puts
charset at the beginning for the same reason.

Natural language is the next most important value because it specifies the
language of any text or name field. Processing is easier if the implicit
language is known at the time a text or name field is encountered. XML has
similar rules for language.

The printer-uri/job-uri/job-id should be easy to find if it not in the
enclosing layer. For HTTP, the position of the target isn't important
because the target is redundant. The position would be important for a
transport where the target is specified only in IPP layer.

So that's the reasoning. Do you agree?

Bob Herriot