IPP Mail Archive: RE: RE: RE: IPP> Identifying jobs in requests

RE: RE: RE: IPP> Identifying jobs in requests

Paul Moore (paulmo@microsoft.com)
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 15:40:12 -0700

[Paul Moore] Actually telling the target what the target is not the
main issue (it is , I agree, redundant). In fact my understanding is that
the printer-URI is not sent as an attribute in , say, a createjob request.
Rather the URI is implicit in the request (since the command arrives at the
right place). The real issue is that the reference generated by the printer
(job-URI) must make sense in the address space of the client (so that it can
use it). This works well for some adressing schemes but not for others.

> > This is the only way we can make transport independance work
>
> Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI) can be used on many different
> transports (though not all transports). But IPP is the Internet Printing
> Protocol, so I think identifying resources by network location (URL) is
> reasonable.
[Paul Moore] Aha - so you are in the 'let there be IPP for Internet
and something else for other scenarios' camp. There is also, I am sure you
are aware, the 'IPP is just a convenient name, lets use it on all
transports' camp.