IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Identifying jobs in requests

Re: IPP> Identifying jobs in requests

James Walker (walker@dazel.com)
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 07:45:48 -0500

Randy Turner wrote:

> Thanks for the synopsis. It appears that the administrative capability to
> filter IPP traffic via proxies is a feature that Keith thinks should be
> provided by IPP. If this is the only key issue holding up our spec, then I
> would like to suggest that we look into a new method (such as PRINT), and
> avoid (for now) the issue of new schemes and/or port numbers for IPP. It's
> the "short path" in my opinion to getting us going again.

I also got the impression from comments made in this discussion that
there was some advantage for a user to be able to look at an URL and
somehow "know" that it was an IPP thing rather than just some web
page. Thus, Larry's ipp: scheme idea (which gets translated at the
client side to http://<server>:<ipp port>/) seems attractive.

Personally, I think that both of these ideas provide useful
functionality, and we should consider both of them. That is,
use the ipp: scheme (which the client translates to http:),
and use a new PRINT method.

one man's thoughts...
...walker