IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Proposal for new IPP scheme

Re: IPP> Proposal for new IPP scheme

Carl-Uno Manros (manros@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 16:22:07 PDT

At 02:25 PM 6/16/98 PDT, Turner, Randy wrote:

>Please review the attached summary of Larry's proposal for a new IPP
>scheme. I added some clarifications and a particular scenario for scheme
>interpretation. This summary is a brief version that was culled from my
>notes, and Larry's subsequent comments to me.
>The brevity of this summary is maintained due to the possible inclusion
>and modification should the WG (or IESG) decide some additional text is
>required for IPP-specific "secure" schemes. For this reason, please
>treat this proposal as a first draft.
>
>Randy
>
> <<maspro.txt>>
>
>Attachment Converted: "C:\WINNT\profiles\cmanros\personal\Attach\maspro.txt"

Randy,

Did you have any discussion with Larry about what a browser is expected to
do if your enter an ipp: URL and hit Enter?

All other URLs that I am aware of do something sensensible in that
situation. The closest equivalent I can think of is the mailto: URL which
usually comes up with a mail submission window. Should an ipp: URL come up
with a print submission window? If so, do we have anybody that might commit
to implement that?

All in all, I think there is more than meets the eye to introduce a new
scheme, in particular one that really is an alias for another scheme, which
as far as I know, is a new kind of animal in the IETF garden of Eden.

Carl-Uno
Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros@cp10.es.xerox.com