IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Proposal for new IPP scheme

Re: IPP> Proposal for new IPP scheme

Carl-Uno Manros (carl@manros.com)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 21:14:59 -0700

Bob,

I do not agree with you on the port number. In every Internet protocol
specification that I have seen there is talk about port numbers.
You could argue that as we are using HTTP, we should use the port number for
that. BTW, we are talking about DEFAULT port numbers, I hope that is still
clear to everybody (you could still support port 80, but your printer
must be able to use the new IPP port out of the box, at least that is my
understanding).

Unfortunately you did not make it to our phone conference with the
Area Directors last week, in which they rather categorically declared that
the IESG expects new protcols, such as IPP, to use new port numbers and if
we want to get the IPP specifications past them, we WILL have a new DEFAULT
port number for IPP. We can keep on arguing this point, but I think we are
just wasting our time right now.

As for the new scheme, I tend to agree that this really falls outside
the protocol and does not neccessarily needs to be resolved as part of
the IPP V1.0. Remains to also convince the Area Directors that this
is the case.

Carl-Uno