IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> MS-new-operations.htm uploaded

Re: IPP> MS-new-operations.htm uploaded

Tom Hastings (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 14:23:20 PDT

On the last IPP telecon, we discussed that we could register the new
operations for use with IPP/1.0, rather than waiting to do a version
2.0, (or version 1.1) with all its inherent process overhead and delay.
On the telecon, I believe we agreed to review these new operations
as registration proposals at the Monterey meeting in July. It was
expressed that this would also test our registration procedures.

These operations appear to be simple operations, compared to the ones that
we have specified in the current Model specification, so that in my
opinion, they are suitable for registration.

That is that advantage of having an extensible standard.

These operations all seem to be very similar to DPA operations (some
from DPA Part 1 and some from DPA Part 3), so that a number of companies
already have extensive experience with implementing them.

Tom