IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> regarding "ipp:" (I spoke too soon...)

Re: IPP> regarding "ipp:" (I spoke too soon...)

Tom Hastings (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 12:22:23 PDT

At 11:43 07/02/98 PDT, Keith Moore wrote:
>> Not so. Every IPP packet is a fully conformant HTTP packet. We are not
>> inventing a new protocol in the scheme sense.
>
>That's not the way IESG sees it. IPP is chartered to develop a protocol.

Yes, but the WG chose to use an approach in which IPP server applications
could be implemented on existing HTTP web servers. If it is a new protocol,
then we can't use existing deployed web servers, correct?

>If you are having problems that no other working group is having,
>because you're layering over http, maybe you're taking the wrong approach.
>
>> Point any lan sniffer at an
>> IPP exchange and ask it what the protocol is - it will say its HTTP.
>
>This could be considered a bug with IPP.
>
>> The argument you are using would say that SMTP is not TCP/IP.
>> IPP is layered on top of HTTP - same way that form-based upload is.
>
>HTTP is an application by itself. TCP/IP is not.
>IPP is trying to layer one application on top of another.

True. However, layering one application on another has been the experience
in OSI and other layered architectures. Being constrained to only 7 levels
is not allowing one application to build on another.