IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> The impact on users for "ipp:" URL notation?

Re: IPP> The impact on users for "ipp:" URL notation?

Carl-Uno Manros (manros@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Mon, 6 Jul 1998 08:01:49 PDT

At 11:36 AM 7/3/98 PDT, Jay Martin wrote:

>User-friendliness is extrememly important to all of us.
>For this reason, I remain concerned about how an "ipp:"
>prefix really impacts a user.
>
>We have heard PWG people say things like:
>
> "You can put your IPP printer URL on your business card!"
>
>But what does this really mean? That is, how (and when and where)
>would a user enter an IPP printer URL?

Jay,

I was probably the one who brought this up. About the where, I think the
primary place would be to insert it in a printing dialogue window dedicated
to IPP printing.

Based on more recent discussions in the WG, I do not see a major difference
whether I write:

PRINTER: ipp://www.manros.com/ipp-printer

or

PRINTER: http://www.manros.com/ipp-printer

the same way as you use telephone numbers for both TEL: and FAX: on you
cards today.

Carl-Uno
Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros@cp10.es.xerox.com