IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Re: New IPP Scheme

RE: IPP> Re: New IPP Scheme

Carl Kugler (kugler@us.ibm.com)
16 Jul 1998 21:09:37 -0000

--=====================_160811464==_.ALT

> I wrote the sentences that you are asking about. I tried to pick words that
> would be unambiguous.
>
> The intention is that IPP software must be able to listen on port 631 and
> may be able to listen on other ports.
> If such software allows an administrator to configure the ports, then such
> an adminstrator may be able to have IPP software listen other ports, such as
> port 80 and might make it be the only port that the IPP server listens on.
> The customer has the right to do what he wants, even if we don't think it is
> the wisest choice.
>
> Bob Herriot

What I find ambiguous, then, are the words "in addition to" and "as well" in these sentences:

"IPP server implementations may support other ports, in addition to this port."

"It is REQUIRED that a printer implementation support HTTP over the IANA assigned Well Known Port 631 (the IPP default port), though a printer implementation may support HTTP over port some other port as well."

Maybe it should say:

"It is REQUIRED that a printer implementation support HTTP over the IANA assigned Well Known Port 631 (the IPP default port), though a printer implementation may be configured to listen on some other port instead."

-Carl

-----
Original Message: http://www.findmail.com/list/ipp/?start=4144
Start a FREE email list at http://www.FindMail.com/