IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Comments on MIB access document

RE: IPP> Comments on MIB access document

Paul Moore (paulmo@microsoft.com)
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 19:57:14 -0700

>8.
>
>You state that for non-printer MIB things you dont have to say what
the
>device is because this is implicit in the OID. There is a level
shift here.
>The devices enumerated by the proposed IPP device list is not the
same as
>the device list in each printer. A printer will have a printer
device, a
>disk, some RAM, etc.

Yes, it is a level shift on purpose, because the "devices-supported" and the

"which-device" only apply to the attribute group names that start
with 'prt-'. The "devices-supported" and "which-devices" (being printers
only) have no meaning when accessing attribute group names that start
'mib-'.

So which IPP fan-out device gets queried when I do a get attributes for
non-prt MIB OIDS.