IPP Mail Archive: (no subject)

(no subject)

lawrence@agranat.com
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 19:57:58 +0100

Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 18:09:47 +0000
From: Scott Lawrence <lawrence@agranat.com>
To: ipp@pwg.org
Subject: IPP> Host header usage in draft-ietf-ipp-ipp-scheme-00.txt
Sender: owner-ipp@pwg.org

One item in draft-ietf-ipp-ipp-scheme-00.txt that I believe is not
consistent with HTTP/1.1 - my apologies for not noticing this
earlier. Discussing how to construct the HTTP headers when sending
via a proxy, the draft says:

> When an IPP client sends a request via a proxy, such as
> "myproxy.com", to an 'ipp' URL, such as
> "ipp://myhost.com/myprinter/myqueue", it MUST open a TCP connection
> to some port (8080 in this example) on some proxy ("myproxy.com" in
> this example) with the following headers:
>
> POST http://myhost.com:631/myprinter/myqueue HTTP/1.1
> Host: myproxy.com:8080

The latest draft (and I don't think this language is new) for
HTTP/1.1 in section 14.23 Host:

>> The Host request-header field specifies the Internet host and port
>> number of the resource being requested, as obtained from the original
>> URI given by the user or referring resource

The Host is not used to specify the proxy - the proxy is not specified
anywhere in the headers that I can find - the client just sends the
request there.

The correct value for the Host header field in the example above
would be 'myhost.com:631', which may make the example the same as
the one above that is direct to the IPP server - which would be right.

--
Scott Lawrence           Consulting Engineer      <lawrence@agranat.com>
Agranat Systems, Inc.  Embedded Web Technology   http://www.agranat.com/