IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> ADM - Chicago Meeting

Re: IPP> ADM - Chicago Meeting

Ira Mcdonald x10962 (imcdonal@eso.mc.xerox.com)
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 13:20:48 PDT

Hi,

Well done, IPP folks! I'll look forward to hearing more by mail
or telecon next week??

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (High North Inc)

From: "Manros, Carl-Uno B" <cmanros@cp10.es.xerox.com>
To: ipp@pwg.org
Cc: "Moore, Keith" <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Subject: IPP> ADM - Chicago Meeting
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 12:44:35 PDT
Sender: owner-ipp@pwg.org

All,

We held the IPP WG meeting today in Chicago with about 30 participants.

John Wenn from Xerox presented a solution for how the security service can
be included by a new parameter in the ipp:// scheme URL and then mapped to
the Upgrade parameter in HTTP 1.1. This had been developed in discussion
with experts from the TLS and HTTP groups earlier in the week.

It seems that if we produce a new version of the IPP Scheme draft
containing:

1) The new security parameter and mapping
2) Change back the latest SHOULDs to MUST again
3) Make sure that the document also includes all boiler plate information
required for new URL schemes
4) Make suitable cross references and minor updates in the other IPP drafts

the Application Area Directors would be prepared to support the progression
in the IESG.

Keith and I will make a further attempt before the Chicago meeting is over,
to also convince the Security Area Directors that the security aspects are
adequately covered. All in all, it now looks like there is light at the end
of the tunnel....

I will be able to give you more details when I am back from Chicago next
week. In the meantime, do we have an editor for the IPP Scheme document? Bob
Herriot perhaps?

John Wenn will volunteer as contributor for the part on security and Larry
Masinter has promised to review the compliance with IETF rules for URL
schemes in general.

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros@cp10.es.xerox.com