IPP Mail Archive: IPP> Re: IPP PRO HTTP Connection: close

IPP> Re: IPP PRO HTTP Connection: close

Peter Michalek (peterm@shinesoft.com)
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 06:44:03 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Kugler <kugler@us.ibm.com>
To: ipp@@pwg.org <ipp@@pwg.org>
Date: Thursday, September 17, 1998 9:21 AM
Subject: IPP> Re: IPP PRO HTTP Connection: close

>Re: PWG IPP PRO HTTP Connection: close
>Carl Kugler (kugler@us.ibm.com)
>Wed, 9 Sep 1998 16:53:39 -0400
>
>I agree that the client and server must accept the Connection: close
>header. I'm wondering how to satisfy the requirement that the client
>and server MUST include this header for the last operation in a
>sequence of operations. Specifically, how do the client and server
>know, a priori, that the current operation is the last operation in a
>sequence (and therefore MUST include the Connection: close
>header)?

One way for the client to optimize its connection management is to consider
some common scenarios:

* A client implementation may choose to find out printer attributes at start
up time.
This sequence will contain just one request: get-printer-attributes
* Later on, when the user wants to print, it does:
validate-job
print-job
i.e. sequence of two requests, then disconnects.
* If the user has submitted a series of print jobs, it may do:
validate-job
print-job
validate-job
print-job
etc.
it would not attempt to disconnect while sending individual jobs

Peter

> -Carl
>
>rturner@sharplabs.com on 09/09/98 02:17:29 PM
>Subject: Re: PWG IPP PRO HTTP Connection: close
>
>I tend to follow the saying "Be conservative in what you send, and
>liberal in whatyou accept..."Whether the text says MUST or not, IMHO
>we should be designing clients and servers to handle a "connection:
>close" header whenever it is received and still function normally,
>albeit with possibly less performance. Since I am not working on a
>client, I cannot speak for what clients are or will actually do, but I
>do think the client end should drive the connection status, whevever
>possible.
>
> Randy

Yes.
It would be more efficient if clients are conservative in keeping the
connection up too long mainly with IPP servers
running on systems with limited resources, such as low-end printer devices
whose http servers can't handle too many
connections.