IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> RE: UPD> UPD Charter Comment: doesn't mention IPP

Re: IPP> RE: UPD> UPD Charter Comment: doesn't mention IPP

henrik.holst@i-data.com
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 10:39:30 +0100

I think the right thing to do would be to do it in the same way as the IPP
spec. One model document
(a transport independent document) and one or more protocol mapping
documents.

/HOLST

I think we agreed Tuesday night that the UPDF was intended to describe
the printer in a OS and transport independent manner. So it should be
sufficient for the UPDF to say that, in this case, that the printer
suports two sided printing or some other feature. I don't think the
charter of the UPD extends to the binding or suggested binding of
anything described in the UPDF to any transport mechanism. The UPD
can and probably should suggest implementations, but the exact
implementations are up to implemntor, and the implementation will
likely be different for various OS's and transports.

If the transport is IPP, then the features will map into the Job
template, or if the transport is something simple like HPPCL then it
will map into an escape, or perhaps some transports won't support it
all.

Regards,
Ben Brezinski