IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Unsupported 'requested-attributes' quest [Issue 1.18]

RE: IPP> Unsupported 'requested-attributes' quest [Issue 1.18]

Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 16:17:32 -0700

I agree with Henrik that it is Hugo's second alternative that is more
consistent with returning Operation attributes with values that are not
supported. Here is the text that I am putting into the Issues List for
Issue 1.18. How does this seem as the actual text to be put into MOD?

Answer to issue 1.18

An IPP object MAY return requested attributes that are unsupported in Group
2 in Get-Printer-Attributes, Get-Jobs, and Get-Job-Attributes responses, but
a client cannot depend on it.

Add the following sentence:

The response NEED NOT contain the "requested-attributes" operation attribute
with any supplied values (attribute keywords) that were requested by the
client but are not supported by the IPP object.

to MOD 3.2.5.2 Get-Printer-Attributes response, 3.2.6.2 Get-Jobs response,
and 3.3.4.2 Get-Job-Attributes response:

Group 2: Unsupported Attributes

This is a set of Operation attributes supplied by the client (in the
request) that are not supported by the Printer object or that conflict with
one another (see sections 3.2.1.2 and 16).

Add a statement to the IIG that the client cannot depend on getting
unsupported attributes returned in the Unsupported Attributes group of
Get-Xxxx responses that the client requested, but are not supported by the
IPP object. However, such unsupported requested attributes will not be
returned in the Job Attributes or Printer Attributes group (since they are
unsupported).