IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> NLO votes

RE: IPP> NLO votes

Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 17:56:21 -0800

Paul,

Here is the first of the four messages. All four are from me. The next
three messages didn't actually get out until two days later (wed October 21,
around 9:00 AM, when the PWG server was rebooted). That may be why you
couldn't find them.

We agree that the June draft are the specification that we are implementing.
However, there was the suspicion that the natural language override
mechanism:

NLO 3 of 4 - for Get-Jobs at the job level
NLO 4 of 4 - at the attribute level for all requests and responses

was not really implemented completely. We agreed at the telecon, that we
really do need the test scripts to test this. Then people could make more
intelligent votes. Unfortunately, the scripts that I wrote last week
uncovered a bug in the test tool. I hope to have some scripts tomorrow that
we can all try. If there are some implementations that implement the June
draft properly, then we will probably agree not to change them. One
compromise suggested today, is to change a MUST to a MAY for the job-level
override in Get-Jobs and to make using textWithLanguage and nameWithLanguage
a SHOULD. That would allow implementations that conform to the June draft
to continue to be conformant.

See the minutes and resulting action items from today's telecon for more
details.

Tom