IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> MOD - NLO 2 of 4: Clarification that Natural

RE: IPP> MOD - NLO 2 of 4: Clarification that Natural

Hugo Parra (HPARRA@novell.com)
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:56:05 -0700

Isn't support for the nameWithLanguage syntax mandatory in the June 30 =
spec? A client that doesn't support it is non compliant. Why should we =
be concerning ourselves with it?

-Hugo

>>> "Hastings, Tom N" <hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com> 10/29/98 11:17AM >>>
One problem with this clarification is that if an implementation starts to
return nameWithLanguage, but the client doesn't support accepting that =
form,
since it never generates that form, there will be a lack of
interoperability.

I've talked to several implementers who are reluctant to take advantage of
this clarification for fear the some clients will not be able to accept =
the
nameWIthLanguage form.

For example, the client supplies the "job-name" operation attribute using
nameWithoutLanguage, but the implementation returns it using
nameWIthLanguage. If the client just blindly displays the value, it will =
be
corrupted, since the value has two binary numbers and the natural language
as well as the actual job name text.

Because we don't have a test tool that tests clients, we can verify that =
the
clients will be able to accept nameWithLanguage on any attribute whose
attribute syntax is 'name'.

Even if the client only supports one natural language, it could test =
itself
with an IPP object that is configured for a different natural language,
because then that IPP object would be forced into returning
nameWIthLanguage. Of course, if all implementations are only supporting
en-us, then even that test is impossible.

So before implementations start taking advantage of this proposed
clarification, we need to verify that clients are conforming by supporting
accepting in a response:

1. BOTH the nameWithoutLanguage and the nameWithLanguage forms for 'name'
attributes
2. BOTH the textWithoutLanguage and the textWithLanguage forms for 'text'
attributes

Tom