IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> PIP WG Charter - Instant Notification

Re: IPP> PIP WG Charter - Instant Notification

Scott Lawrence (lawrence@agranat.com)
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 15:50:36 +0000

Richard Shockey wrote:

> In the telecon yesterday I mentioned the work being undertaken by the PIP
> BOF to look at standardizing Instant Messaging or the general ICQ concept.
>
> The charter is also interesting for its desire to standardize "presence" on
> the net... which could include devices as well, I assume.

There was a lot of discussion of that sort of thing at the original BOF for
this (in LA, if I remember correctly); there were even people there from
the European Space Agency that were talking about real-time position
information for sattelites in LEO! My take at the time was that many of
the architectures being discussed might or might not work for tracking end
users, but most would not be appropriate for both end users and
services/devices like IPP printers. Of course, one can hope that something
new will emerge...

--
Scott Lawrence           Director of R & D        <lawrence@agranat.com>
Agranat Systems, Inc.  Embedded Web Technology   http://www.agranat.com/