IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> HTTP/1.0 in IPP

Re: IPP> HTTP/1.0 in IPP

Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 09:15:58 -0500

Manish Thakur wrote:

> Hi List,
> What are the HTTP services which an IPP Client and IPP printer
> object need and are provided by HTTP/1.1 but not provided by
> HTTP/1.0 ? Will using HTTP/1.0 at the transport layer constrain an

Chunking is the big one. Without it you must know the exact request
size prior to sending a job from an IPP client (and similarly the
size of the IPP response from the server).

> IPP implementation (rendering it IPP non compliant), could there be

Yes, an IPP client or server that isn't capable of doing HTTP/1.1
is *not* compliant.

> any other issues? I am not able to figure out the version of HTTP
> client provided by Win SDK in (Visual C++ 5.0) and HTTP server in
> Internet Information Server 2.0. Any help on these issues would be
> greatly appreciated.

One way is to use the TELNET program, e.g.:

telnet server-name-or-address 80 ENTER
GET /index HTTP/1.1 ENTER
Host: server-name ENTER
ENTER

If the server doesn't understand or support 1.1, you'll get an error
message from the server. Otherwise it'll give you the contents of
the "index.html" file...

FWIW, it isn't that hard to do your own 1.1 client; a 1.1 server is
a little more complicated, but a barebones implementation isn't too
bad.

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike@easysw.com