IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> About uri

RE: IPP> About uri

Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 15:21:22 -0800

Here is what the IIG says about URI comparison. It looks good to me. =
suggest that we also add a reference to the IIG in section 4.1.5 'uri' =
of
the Model, ok?

2.5 Case Sensitivity in URIs (issue 1.6)

IPP client and server implementations must be aware of the diverse
uppercase/lowercase nature of URIs. RFC 2396 defines URL schemes and =
Host
names as case insensitive but reminds us that the rest of the URL may =
well
demonstrate case sensitivity. When creating URL's for fields where the
choice is completely arbitrary, it is probably best to select lower =
case.
However, this cannot be guaranteed and implementations MUST NOT rely on =
any
fields being case-sensitive or case-insensitive in the URL beyond the =
URL
scheme and host name fields.

The reason that the IPP specification does not make any restrictions on
URIs, is so that implementations of IPP may use off-the-shelf =
components
that conform to the standards that define URIs, such as RFC 2396 and =
the
HTTP/1.1 specifications [RFC2068]. See these specifications for rules =
of
matching, comparison, and case-sensitivity.

It is also recommended that System Administrators and implementations =
avoid
creating URLs for different printers that differ only in their case. =
For
example, don't have Printer1 and printer1 as two different IPP =
Printers.=20
The HTTP/1.1 specification [RFC2068] contains more details on comparing
URLs.