IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> MOD - Issue 2: How can client force authentication, i.e.,

Re: IPP> MOD - Issue 2: How can client force authentication, i.e.,

Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 08:57:27 -0500

Paul Moore wrote:

> How does trhis work in combination with various secure transmission
> RLS (ssl3, TLS, etc).
>
> What you would actually need would be a product of all the
> combinations of identification and auth/secure channel methods.
>
> URL1 = none, none
> URL2 = basic, none
> URL3 = basic, TLS
> URL4 = basic, SSL3
> URL5 = digest, none
> URL9 = digest, SSL3
>
> URL27 = foobar, XYZ

Correct, although I would imagine that most IPP servers will offer
either Basic or Digest, but not both (supporting both would probably
require storing the actual password string as plaintext on the server,
which isn't a good idea...)

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike@easysw.com