IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Re: PRO - Issue 32: Use of Basic & Digest Authentication

RE: IPP> Re: PRO - Issue 32: Use of Basic & Digest Authentication

Carl-Uno Manros (carl@manros.com)
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 07:46:30 -0700

Michael,

I don't agree that the security solution proposed in our New Orleans meeting
is either:

1) can't be met by most vendors
or:
2) are cost-prohibitive to implement.

As you observe yourself, it might take vendors a bit of time to implement
IPP/1.1, but in the meantime it looks like most people are rolling out
IPP/1.0 versions. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't finish up the IPP/1.1
version NOW, otherwise it will just take even longer for the IESG favored
IPP solution to reach the market. I want to reemphazise that the IPP WG was
set up with task of creating in IETF standard. We haven't delivered on that
yet, but I hope that we will soon. A couple of people are just now trying to
write up the details about the New Orleans solution (see the minutes just
distributed) and I would welcome your input on that text as soon as we have
it ready.

Carl-Uno