IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Last Call Comment: Job and Printer time attributes shou

RE: IPP> Last Call Comment: Job and Printer time attributes shou

Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 12:00:22 -0700

Shivaun,

How about adding the following sentence to the "printer-current-time"
attribute:

An implementation MAY support this attribute by obtaining the date and time
by any number of implementation-dependent means at startup or subsequently.
Examples include: (1) an internal date time clock, (2) from the operator at
startup, (3) from HTTP headers supplied in client requests, and (4) from the
network, using NTP [RFC1305] or DHCP option 32 [RFC2132] that returns the
address of the NTP server. If an implementation supports this attribute by
obtaining the current time from the network (at startup or later), but the
time is not available, then the implementation MUST return the value of this
attribute using the out-of-band 'no-value' meaning not configured. See the
beginning of section 4.1.

Since the new "date-and-time-at-xxx" Job Description attribute refer to the
"printer-current-time", they will be covered also.

Tom