IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> MOD - part of Issue 17 - don't need negative "time-at-xx

RE: IPP> MOD - part of Issue 17 - don't need negative "time-at-xx

Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 11:17:58 -0700

Anthony,

It is ok to say that a client SHOULD display times to users using the client
local time?

So when displaying a queue of jobs, I'd like to see the client convert the
time returned by the server from whatever times the server returns to my
local time zone.

I didn't understand the comment about summer time, since my understanding is
that the so-called "time zone" field in the dateTime data type is NOT really
time zone, but rather is the offset in minutes from UTC time (which doesn't
change in summer). So a Printer could have a different offset from UTC time
during summer time than winter time. Or a Printer could always use UTC (or
Zulu) and have the offset be 0 all year long.

Tom