IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> MOD - 36) ISSUE: Don't require 1.0 support and add REQUIRED "ver sion-numbers-supported" a

Re: IPP> MOD - 36) ISSUE: Don't require 1.0 support and add REQUIRED "ver sion-numbers-supported" a

Stefan Andersson ()
Wed, 5 May 1999 14:35:37 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Hastings, Tom N wrote:

> At last week's telecon with a good number of people participating, we
> relaxed the requirement that an IPP/1.1 Client and Printer MUST support
> IPP/1.0 requests and responses and made it a SHOULD. As a consequence,=
we
> agreed also agreed that we have to add a REQUIRED
> "version-numbers-supported" so that a client can determine which versio=
ns
> are supported. This attribute will also be added to the RECOMMEND list=
in
> the directory appendix list.
> 36) ISSUE: Don't require 1.0 support and add REQUIRED
> "version-numbers-supported" attribute
> RECOMMEND, rather than REQUIRE, conforming IPP/1.1 clients and the IPP/=
1.1
> Printers to support IPP/1.0 requests and responses. Therefore, add an
> "ipp-versions-supported" Printer Description attribute. Also add this
> attribute as RECOMMENDED in the directory schema list in the Appendix.
>=20
I can't see that it is possible to do a IPP1.1 that don't support IPP1.0,
the reason for this is the following (from 3.1.7 Versions IPP/1.0: Model
and Semantics):

> Changes to the major version number indicate structural or syntactic
> changes that make it impossible for older version of IPP clients and
> Printer objects to correctly parse and process the new or changed
> attributes, operations and responses. =20
> Changes to the minor version number indicate the addition of new
> features, attributes and attribute values that may not be understood by
> all IPP objects, but which can be ignored if not understood. =20

The last paragraph states that only features that can be ignored may be
added when the minor number is increased, I can't see that this can lead
to a 1.1 compilant server/client that don't support a 1.0 compliant
server/client. If this should be the case the major version number must b=
increased,

/Stefan=20
=20

--
Stefan Andersson                         Software Engineer
Document Division                        Stefan.Andersson@axis.com