IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Re:Goals behind IPP 1.1 printer mgmt

RE: IPP> Re:Goals behind IPP 1.1 printer mgmt

Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 14:07:15 -0700

Bill,

You ask an important question: Why weren't admin operations, like
Shutdown-Printer, Pause-Printer, Resume-Printer, Purge-Jobs,
Disable-Printer, Enable-Printer, put into the Printer MIB?

While I agree that we could have added such operations to the Printer MIB,
why didn't we? After all the proposed Printer MIB was published as RFC 1759
in March of 1994. Here are my thoughts as to why these operations haven't
been added:

1. The security with SNMPv1 is not standardized, so that a vendor would be
exposing the printer (on the LAN):

a. To test this supposition, how many vendors implement the only management
control function in the Printer MIB: reset, which is OPTIONAL?

Of course SNMPv3 security changes the picture, but only recently.

2. The difficulty of adding anything to the Printer MIB is awesome, both
within the IETF printmib WG and the IESG:

a. The IETF printmib WG hasn't even been able to agree to clarify the
localization that different implementations have done (even though the
proposal added no new objects, but just clarified the current spec to
reflect what was actual practice). This is in spite of the participants
agreeing that the proposal agreed with current implementations.

b. The IETF printmib WG chair's view is that the Printer MIB is done and is
to move to a draft standard where it cannot have any extensions added. This
is in spite of there being a number of members who have voiced the opposite
opinion that we should just keep updating the Printer MIB as we need
extensions as new proposed IETF standards. I know of no participant beside
the chair that insists that the Printer MIB progress to draft status.

c. The IETF printmib WG chair has indicated that he doesn't want to add
anything to the draft Printer MIB that hasn't been thoroughly reviewed by
people who indicate positive approval on the pmp DL. We've proposed adding
the registration information for the job submission channel to the draft
Printer MIB to reference IPP/1.0 [RFC 2565, 2566]. So far the silence on
the pmp DL has been deafening. How could you possibly add a bunch of
administrative operations to the Printer MIB?

Tom