IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Re:Goals behind IPP 1.1 printer mgmt

RE: IPP> Re:Goals behind IPP 1.1 printer mgmt

harryl@us.ibm.com
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 12:19:05 -0600

I'm just climbing on board this thread after a couple weeks absence. Here's my 2
cents.

1. I think it was (is) important to align IPP and the Printer MIB, Job MIB
w.r.t. migration and compatibility. I don't think it is necessary to enforce
complete division of labor, however, among the protocols. It seems natural, to
me, for one or more approaches to strengthen or "win out" while others "fade".

2. One of the pitfalls of SNMP was (is) that it's an IP protocol. We've had
several parties state several times that lack of SNMP over the parallel channel,
for example, limits total adoption of the Printer MIB for things like self
configuring drivers.

3. The extensions under discussion are operator based which is different from
infrastructure management (i.e. SNMP's arena).

4. Full extension, growth and utilization of the Printer and Job MIBs has been
relatively hindered by shyness related to IETF constraints or reaction (i.e. the
Job MIB is great... but they didn't "like" it.

5. I think a "total solution" will consist of a complimentary set of protocols
and technologies addressing service and capabilities discovery, print submission
and monitoring, notifications, asset awareness and administration. I would
characterize the pause/stop printer type operations as a pro-active forms of
monitoring... not system administration, so I think they are appropriate for
IPP.

Harry Lewis
IBM Printing Systems
harryl@us.ibm.com

"Carl-Uno Manros" <carl@manros.com> on 06/24/99 05:41:49 PM

To: "Wagner,William" <bwagner@digprod.com>,
PETER_E_MELLQUIST@hp-roseville-om3.om.hp.com, hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com,
HPARRA@novell.com, ipp@pwg.org, kjo@ess.mc.xerox.com, Carl
Kugler/Boulder/IBM@IBMUS
cc: (bcc: Harry Lewis/Boulder/IBM)
Subject: RE: IPP> Re:Goals behind IPP 1.1 printer mgmt

Bill,

There are always more then one side to view things. The debate about where
you put admin functions have been going on for decades and I am not sure
that everybody has declared SNMP the winner yet.

ISO, when they defined DPA, decided to put the same kind of functionality
that Carl has now proposed, into DPA even though ISO had its own management
protocol as well.

I believe that people that have implemented these features in DPA have found
them quite useful and would like to see them included in IPP as well. If
they want these features, and we tell them that they are out of scope for
IPP, they may well go ahead and implement them as their own proprietary
extensions instead, a much worse case in my view.

Another observation is that a number of companies have now started doing
device management using proprietary web access solutions. Isn't this an
indication that maybe the days of SNMP are counted anyway?

Carl-Uno