IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Re:Goals behind IPP 1.1 printer mgmt [versus CIM]

RE: IPP> Re:Goals behind IPP 1.1 printer mgmt [versus CIM]

Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 16:27:24 -0700

Does anyone have a simple list of the CIM operations? How do they compare
with the IPP administrative operations (approved and proposed)?

Thanks,
Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: harryl@us.ibm.com [mailto:harryl@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, June 28, 1999 16:07
To: Ira McDonald
Cc: carl@manros.com; HPARRA@novell.com;
PETER_E_MELLQUIST@hp-roseville-om3.om.hp.com; bwagner@digprod.com;
hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com; ipp@pwg.org; kjo@ess.mc.xerox.com;
kugler@us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: IPP> Re:Goals behind IPP 1.1 printer mgmt

snip...

What I find most interesting is the opportunity to sort through
alternatives.
I'm not suggesting the PWG must "drive" every aspect of the overall print
solution, but, where there are alternatives (CIM vs. IPP extensions vs.
SNMP,
for example), I think the PWG should have a high level framework to test the
ideas and couple the options into a cross platform roadmap.

Harry Lewis
IBM Printing Systems
harryl@us.ibm.com