IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Simple Questions

RE: IPP> Simple Questions

Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 12:16:15 -0700

See answers to your questions below preceded by TH>. They are pretty
similar to Carl's answers.

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: nobu@classified.co.jp [mailto:nobu@classified.co.jp]
Sent: Sunday, July 04, 1999 15:50
To: ipp@pwg.org
Subject: IPP> Simple Questions

Hi all,
My name is nobu.

This is the first time to send this ML.
I am sorry for asking very simple questions , but i hope you'll answer the
questions.

Q1. By supporting IPP , do we need to put CGI programs in our printer?
If it is not true , how do printer process the end-use's request?

TH> No, you may implement IPP using CGI scripts or any other way. You don't
even need your printer to be a full-fledged HTTP web server. You only need
to support what is required in the IPP documents. However, a number of
initial implementations have built upon HTTP web servers.

However, there are a number of problems with some web server implementations
of CGI scripts and chunking. See the IPP Implementers Guide for details.
Sounds like you may find both the FAQ and the Implementer's Guide helpful
sources of information. See the IPP Web page:

http://www.pwg.org/ipp/index.html

and the associated documents in .txt, .pdf, and .doc form:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/

Q2 Do we configure the IPP with Fax macine? and How ? IPP ?
¨?@Fax,?@Fax?@?¨?@Fax?

TH> There is a lot of similarity between IPP and FAX, except that IPP uses
the Internet (and Intranet) instead of the switched network phone system.

In fact, there is an IETF project starting up to specify certain optional
IPP features as required in order to give users the "FAX experience" using
IPP over the Internet, such as supporting TIFF/FX document format. Its
called QUALDOCS (for quality documents). Its mailing list is:

ifx@pwg.org

Q3 Is it possible to broadcast the IPP document to n destinations in one
end-user's
procedure like e-mails in Mailing List ?

TH> No, the client must send the document to each IPP Printer separately.
However, a client application could be written to distribute a document to
many IPP Printers, but it would have to send each document separately in
each request or send a URL to each printer to pull the document for the
Printers that support the Print-URI operation.

TH> The IFAX RFCs (2530-2534) describe how a sender can send FAX documents
as attachments to email and so could use the email distribution mechanisms
that most email user agents and mail servers support. However, the document
is subject to the store and forward mechanism of email, not the direct
document submission that FAX users are used to when using the dial-up
switched telephone network (and that IPP provides).

Thanks in advance.

nobu.

Get a life...off the net ... ok, get free email - Now!
http://www.jmail.co.jp