IPP Mail Archive: IPP> NOT - Requirements - still needs an accounting application scenar

IPP> NOT - Requirements - still needs an accounting application scenar

Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:32:25 -0700

The notes from the IPP WG meeting in Copenhagen changed the 7th Scenario
from "audit and accounting" to "usage statistics". That is ok, provided
that we add a new Scenario that does include an accounting application using
the notification mechanism for push type of accounting, where the IPP
Printer pushes the accounting data to the accounting application. Here a
high Quality of Service is desirable for those sites that want to do
reliable accounting.

Here is the original Scenario 7 (which was agreed to be changed to "usage
statistics application):

7. I am an accounting or audit application. I subscribe independently from a
job submission so that my subscription outlasts any particular job. My
subscription may persists across power cycles. I subscribe with the
following attributes:

- Notification Recipient - me
- Notification Type - immediate
- Notification Events - job completion
- Notification Attributes - impression completed, sheets completed, time
submitted, time started, time completed, job owner, job size in octets, etc.

I suggest adding a Scenario 8:

8. I am an accounting application. I subscribe independently from a job
submission so that my subscription outlasts any particular job. My
subscription may persists across power cycles. I subscribe with the
following attributes:

- Notification Recipient - me
- Notification Type - immediate
- Notification Events - job completion
- Notification Attributes - time submitted, time started, time completed,
job owner, job size in octets, job-k-octets-processed,
job-impressions-completed, job-media-sheets-completed, etc.

Comments?

Tom