IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> NOT - Requirements - still needs an accounting applicati

RE: IPP> NOT - Requirements - still needs an accounting applicati

Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 00:56:00 -0700

See my replies preceded by TH>

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: don@lexmark.com [mailto:don@lexmark.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 1999 18:06
To: hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com
Cc: ipp@pwg.org
Subject: RE: IPP> NOT - Requirements - still needs an accounting application
scenario

Tom:

While a TCP/IP connection might be reliable when it is open, that
reliability
doesn't apply to SMTP or UDP.
TH> I agree. So an accounting application would supply the TCP/IP method,
rather than the SMTP or UDP methods, in the Subscribe-Printer operation.

Is accounting only valid using some methods?
TH> Yes. At least reliable accounting would only be reliable with some
methods, such as TCP/IP.

What happens when the TCP/IP connection is dropped unexpectedly?
TH> This can happen, or the accounting program might not be running, or
might crash, or might be stopped accidentally, etc.
TH> When any of these things happen, the notification event reports are not
acknowledged and the policy/implementation kicks in that is beyond the scope
of the standard.

What happens if the channel is reliable but the printer is too busy?
TH> Same as when the accounting is not acknowledged. The
policy/implementation is beyond the scope of the standard.

Our solution was to not call it accounting but rather statistics so that
there
is not an expectation of accounting level of QoS. Those of us in the
discussion
believe that the word "accounting" sets an unrealistic level of expectations
and
we were not willing to go after that level of expectations.
TH> The problem with not addressing accounting is that each implementer
dreams up private accounting attributes. It would be nice to agree on some
core set of accounting data in a public standard. Obviously, there will be
additional private data and some of these attributes can get registered
along the way as well.

TH> It would also be nice to agree on some core set of additional usage
Printer Description attributes for Scenario 7 that is accumulated across
jobs (and power cycles?), such as total-impressions, total-media-sheets,
total-time-running.

TH> The alternative to not using notification for accounting, is for the
accounting program to query the Job History using Get-Job-Attributes after
the job completes. Notification could be used to kick off such an
accounting program and the accounting program should periodically poll as
well, in case a notification doesn't get through to it (or the printer is
too busy). Do you feel that polling, combined with notification, is a
preferable way to do accounting? It does depend on the Printer to implement
the Job History concept and keep jobs around for some period of time so that
the accounting program get copy out the data.

TH> Even with this second approach, we should add it as Scenario 8. The
difference being that the event report doesn't have to have all of the
accounting data in it, which would simplify the notification. Also the
event delivery method doesn't have to be reliable, since the accounting
program has to poll anyway. The accounting program only needs to subscribe
for the 'job-completed' event.

TH> With either approach to accounting, we should still agree on and add
(the same) core set of accounting job attributes to add to the job object.

Here is the alternative Scenario 8 for "polled accounting":

8. I am an accounting application. I poll periodically the Job History for
jobs that
have completed (aborted or canceled) since I last polled. In order to
capture data
sooner after jobs complete, I subscribe to 'job-completed' events.
I subscribe independently from a job submission so that my subscription
outlasts any particular job. My subscription may persists across power
cycles. I don't have to use a
particularly reliable delivery method, since I poll periodically too.
I subscribe with the following attributes:

- Notification Recipient - me
- Notification Type - immediate
- Notification Events - job completion
- Notification Attributes - time submitted, time started, time completed.

Tom

* Don Wright don@lexmark.com *
* Director, Strategic & Technical Alliances *
* Lexmark International *
* 740 New Circle Rd *
* Lexington, Ky 40550 *
* 606-232-4808 (phone) 606-232-6740 (fax) *

hastings%cp10.es.xerox.com@interlock.lexmark.com on 07/13/99 07:19:15 PM

To: Don Wright@LEXMARK, hastings%cp10.es.xerox.com@interlock.lexmark.com
cc: ipp%pwg.org@interlock.lexmark.com
Subject: RE: IPP> NOT - Requirements - still needs an accounting applicati
on
scenario

Don,

This discussion is why we do Requirements.

Why don't you think that the notification that we have in the current specs
don't have enough reliability for accounting? It would seem to me that the
TCP/IP notification delivery method which opens a channel and keeps it open
is pretty darn reliable. Of course, the number of such channels would be an
implementation and/or a site policy decision, as would establishing the
authorization of which applications could use this method.

In fact, the group agreed at one point to make the TCP/IP delivery method a
REQUIRED method to implement (of course, that might change).

I agree that we wouldn't want the IPP notification spec to force printers to
stop printing if the accounting channel wasn't accepting notifications. In
fact, we might just omit specing how the policy is established all together
about which applications are accounting and what happens when events can't
be delivered to them, leaving all this up to private implementation. But
lets not rule out accounting as a Scenario and a requirement.

Tom