IPP Mail Archive: IPP> OPS - Get rid of Pause-Current-Job, Space-Current-Job, and Cancel

IPP> OPS - Get rid of Pause-Current-Job, Space-Current-Job, and Cancel

Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 09:35:48 -0700

Note number 19 questioned whether we really needed Pause-Current-Job.
The advantage of Pause-Current-Job was that the client didn't have to supply
the job-id (but could as a check against the race). On the other hand, the
Pause-Printer doesn't need a job-id. And then the operator could check to
see what was the current job and the use Pause-Job where he MUST supply the
job-id. So I agree that we really don't need Pause-Current-Job.

Note 21-24 dealt with the other Xxxx-Current-Job operations:

In fact, following the same line of reasoning and pruning out operations, do
we really need the other two Xxxx-Current-Job operations: Space-Current-Job
and Cancel-Current-Job? Perhaps the Xxxx-Current-Job operations were more
needed for command line interfaces than for more recent GUI interfaces which
would likely be displaying the job queue with job-ids for all jobs or at
least the current job id.

1. Space-Current-Job when we have Space-Printer which works when there is
and isn't a current job.

We could add an OPTIONAL "job-id" to Space-Printer which would reject the
request if the current job didn't match. This would help the race condition
that the current job might just finish or a new job start just as the
Space-Printer operation was issued.

2. Cancel-Current-Job when we have Cancel-Job as a REQUIRED operation.

Comments?

Tom