IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> NOT - Requirements - still needs an accounting applicati on scenario

RE: IPP> NOT - Requirements - still needs an accounting applicati on scenario

Ron Bergman (rbergma@dpc.com)
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 09:09:28 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

Tom,

My understanding of the decision in Copenhagen was more of semantics
rather than function. There is no reason why a "statistics notification
group" would not be identical to what is required for an "accounting
notification group". The only difference is that the "statistics group"
would not imply the degree of reliability that some may desire for
accounting. If a vendor desires to offer a reliable accounting package
this easily could be built on top of the IPP Statistics Package. For
those applications that don't need the bullet proof (Jeff Slater) package,
the IPP Statistics package would be more than sufficient. We do, however,
need to include either TCP or UDP with acknowledgement as an available
transport. I do not agree with the decision in Copenhagen to only specify
UDP without acknowledgement.

The issue of a reliable transport was also discussed in the IETF meeting.
But the concern there was more for congestion control. There was the
opinion that TCP should be used just to be safe, even though the frequency
of IPP notifications was expected to never invoke the TCP congestion
control feature. (The discussion at this point concerned the sending of a
notification at the completion of every page.)

I am now convinced that the transport selected should be a function of the
notification type and we should not allow any notification on any
transport. For example, the page complete notification should be only a
UDP without acknowledgement. If page completions are lost its not a big
deal, the next notifcation will bring you up-to-date. For Job Completion,
Job Statistics, or Errors a reliable transport should be required in most
cases. For these I believe that TCP is an overkill. UDP with
acknowledgement is more than adequate. Congestion control should not be
an issue.

Ron Bergman
Hitachi Koki Imaging Solutions