IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> NOT - Issue 1 - Add Subscription object? [ISSUE:

RE: IPP> NOT - Issue 1 - Add Subscription object? [ISSUE:

Hugo Parra (HPARRA@novell.com)
Fri, 06 Aug 1999 17:17:13 -0600

Hi Harry,

It looks to me that the scenarios you described use "per-printer - =
allJobs" and "per-job" registrations. Where does "per-printer - myJobs" =
(the one I challenged as redundant and difficult to implement) come into =
play?

-Hugo

>>> <harryl@us.ibm.com> 08/06/99 03:00PM >>>

Hugo, my view is that "perPrinter" registrations apply in the following =
cases

1. A "print server" application (as opposed to a peer-to-peer situation) =
that
may establish the "perPrinter - allJobs" subscription and maintain it =
until the
queue on the server, itself, drains and becomes inactive. In this =
scenario, the
printer server has some OS supported means of relaying event notification =
back
to the ultimate end user.
2. An administrative or accounting application (I know... we're not =
supposed to
acknowledge we're treading here, so consider this comment hypothetical) =
that
needs to "stay in touch" with the printer regardless of (and out of band =
with)
any particular print activity.

I see the "perJob" registration in

3. Peer-to-Peer printing
4. Print Server (like 1, above) but notifications go directly from the =
device to
the end user... not through the server, necessarily or via any OS =
mechanism.

Harry Lewis
IBM Printing Systems
harryl@us.ibm.com=20