IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Proposal for change to notification content [add job-imp

RE: IPP> Proposal for change to notification content [add job-imp

dcarney@us.ibm.com
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 15:37:08 -0600

Tom Hastings wrote:
>Don't you need to know the job-collation-type in order to know whether the
>counter is going to go to n times the size or just to the size, where n is
>the number of copies?
>
>So do we need to add "job-collation-type" as well?

The 'job-collation-type' attribute is already there, in row 21 of the same table
(Table 5 in section 7.3). So, for 'job-progress' notifications, you would have
this information. However, another proposal that I made at the Denver meeting
was to make rows 21-25 in that table (including 'job-collation-type')
conditionally required for 'job-completed' notifications as well as for
'job-progress' notifications. That proposal did not enjoy enough support to
carry, but maybe now it might be a different story. At the very least, you make
a good point: if we add job-impressions to job-completed notifications,
job-collation-type probably needs to be made conditionally-required on such
notifications. I'll let you write this 'issue' up however you want.

In general, my belief is that anything that is important enough to put on a
job-progress notification is also important enough to put on a job-completed
notification. Always remember that:
1) there are recipients who will register only for the job-completed
notifications, and
2) not all jobs complete successfully, and for such jobs, the job-complete
notification is almost more of a job-progress notification: "here is how far we
got before aborting/canceling".

Dennis Carney
IBM Printing Systems (303)924-0565