IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> OPS - Set2 divided into Set2 Printer operations and Set3

RE: IPP> OPS - Set2 divided into Set2 Printer operations and Set3

Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 11:27:44 -0800

We didn't really get a chance to talk at the meeting about how the new
Device object would be identified in a request as a target. So I had
written below that it was with a URI, same as for the Printer object and the
subordinate Printer object for fan-out.

However, it occurred to me that there is a far simpler approach:

1. Specify that a Printer object MAY contain a Device object, but only one.

2. The new operations on the Device object:

Set-Device-Attributes
Reset-Device
Restart-Device
Non-Process-Run-Out (add-Device?)
Shutdown-Device
Get-Device-Attributes
Pause-Device
Resume-Device
Space-Current-Job (Ok to rename Space-Device and remove job-id?)

have the same "printer-uri" as the target as the Printer object. Its the
new operation codes that indicate that the operation is on the Device
object, not the Printer object.

3. If you have fan-out and want to support the Device object, you need to
support the subordinate Printer objects since they each contain a Device
object.

4. IPP/1.1 had the "output-device-assigned (name)" Job attribute. So the
IPP/1.1 had the beginnings of the Device object and the name of the new
Device object is what goes in the Job's "output-device-assigned (name)" Job
attribute.

ISSUE: How do we represent the name of the Device object?

Does the Device object need a separate REQUIRED "device-name (name(127))
attribute or could the current REQUIRED "printer-name (name(127))" suffice
as both the user friendly name of the Printer and the user friendly name of
the Device (lump of metal), since there is a one-to-one relationship between
the Printer object and the Device object? I suggest that it will simpler
and less confusing to only have the "printer-name" as the user-friendly name
for both objects.

On the other hand, we had agreed in IPP/1.1 NOT to model fan-in. However,
with the introduction of the Device object, could more than one Printer
object represent the same Device object? In other words, does the
introduction of the Device object allow us to model fan-in? If so, then the
Printer object would be "associated with" a Device object, rather than
"contain a" Device object. If so, there is a many-to-one relationship
between Printer objects and Device objects. If so, then we would need the
"device-name (name(127))" attribute for the Device object.

Comments?

Tom