IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> issues with restart job

RE: IPP> issues with restart job

Zehler, Peter (Peter.Zehler@usa.xerox.com)
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 08:30:07 -0500

Sandeep,
Comments included below.
Pete

Peter Zehler
XEROX
Xerox Architecture Center
Email: Peter.Zehler@usa.xerox.com
Voice: (716) 265-8755
FAX: (716) 265-8792
US Mail: Peter Zehler
Xerox Corp.
800 Phillips Rd.
M/S 139-05A
Webster NY, 14580-9701

-----Original Message-----
From: Sandeep Kamath [mailto:sandeep@teil.soft.net]
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 1999 7:01 AM
To: ipp@pwg.org
Subject: IPP> issues with restart job

Hi all,

I have a couple of doubts :

1) Restart on a Create-Job request:
Assume I give a Create-Job request along with a set of 5 documents . All
the documents get printed and the job state is moved to completed . I
issue a Restart-Job request on the job. Now the issue is that, if I try
to add new documents to the restarted job ,will the Ipp Server permit me
to do so or return "client-error-not-possible " and again print those 5
jobs.
PZ> A job can not move to the 'completed' state until all the documents
PZ> have been processed. The 'last-document' flag indicates when the
PZ> last document for a job is being sent from the client. This is
PZ> the semantic equivalent of closing a job. No documents may be
PZ> added once a job is closed. Section 3.3.7 of the IPPv1.1 model
PJ> states "The job is moved to the 'pending' job state and restarts
PZ> the beginning on the same IPP Printer object with the same attribute
PZ> values." 'number-of-documents' is a job attribute.

2) Restart on a Print-URI request that was completed :
If I issue a Restart-Job request on a job that is in state "completed" ,
does the IPP Server need to down load the file again or proceed with a
file that it had already downloaded.
PZ> The IPP job does not contain any data, only a reference. The job
PZ> data resides where ever the URL indicates. Although the specification
PZ> does not prohibit caching of print data caching may introduce
PZ> inconsistent behavior with other IPP implementations.

3) Restart on a Print-URI request that was aborted while downloading the
URI :
If I issue a Restart-Job request on a job that is in state "aborted" (
due to download failing ) , does the IPP Server need to down load the
file again or return "client-error-not-possible ".
PZ> It should attempt to retrieve the job again. The 'print-uri' does
PZ> necessarily mean download. A client may upload the file to the
PZ> printer via FTP. The URL used in 'print-uri' could have a method
PZ> of 'file://'

Regards,

Sandeep Kamath
Software Engineer - Design & Development
TATA ELXSI LTD.
Bangalore,
India.

Ph: 8410222