IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> issue with job-state-reasons

RE: IPP> issue with job-state-reasons

Zehler, Peter (Peter.Zehler@usa.xerox.com)
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 07:14:39 -0500

Peter Zehler
XEROX
Xerox Architecture Center
Email: Peter.Zehler@usa.xerox.com
Voice: (716) 265-8755
FAX: (716) 265-8792
US Mail: Peter Zehler
Xerox Corp.
800 Phillips Rd.
M/S 139-05A
Webster NY, 14580-9701

Sandeep,
Comments included below.
Pete

-----Original Message-----
From: Sandeep Kamath [mailto:sandeep@teil.soft.net]
Sent: Saturday, November 13, 1999 5:23 AM
To: ipp@pwg.org
Subject: IPP> issue with job-state-reasons

Hi all,

I have an issue .

1) Assume a client has performed a Print-URI operation with a reference
to a large document .The request is processed checking for the
uri-scheme and the accessibility of the document, and the client is sent
(PZ> checking accessibility is optional)
a response with a valid job-id. While the IPP server is downloading the
document mid way ,the client does a get-job-attributes. We would return
the job-state as pending-held , but what the job-state-reasons say.
There is a job-state-reason 'job-incoming' , but is limited to
create-job.
PZ> I would not use 'job-incoming' its use is narrowly defined and not
PZ> appropriate. I assume your implementation requires that the entire
PZ> job stream be transferred to your printer prior to processing.
PZ> If you could begin before transfer is complete then the 'job-state'
PZ> would be 'processing' and the 'job-state-reasons' would be
PZ> 'job-interpreting', 'job-transforming' and/or 'job-printing'.
PZ> Assuming your implementation can not process until the entire
PZ> document data has been retrieved I agree with your 'job-state'.
PZ> The 'job-state-reason' might be 'resources-are-not-ready'. This
PZ> assumes that the PDL itself is included in the definition of "resource".
PZ> The other alternative requires an extension to the 'job-state-reason'
PZ> values. A new value would be 'document-transfer' and its semantics
PZ> is that the printer is retrieving document data necessary for the job.
PZ> The new value would only apply to jobs that contain a document obtained
PZ> via a URI reference.

regards,
Sandeep Kamath
Software Engineer - Design & Development
Networking & Communication
TATA ELXSI LTD.
Bangalore,
India.