IPP Mail Archive: FW: IPP> Informational RFC to be: <draf

FW: IPP> Informational RFC to be: <draft-sun-ldap-print-schema-00 .txt>

From: Manros, Carl-Uno B (cmanros@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 16:45:05 EST

    Members of the IESG,

    The IPP WG was recently copied on information about a new I-D for an LDAP
    schema for IPP printers, for which a request has also been sent to the IESG
    for publishing as an Informational RFC.

    The IPP WG has worked with the SLP WG to produce a printing schema for SLP,
    which we intended to then map to a matching LDAP schema.

    The <draft-sun-ldap-print-schema-00.txt> attempts to provide an LDAP schema
    for IPP printers. Although the IPP WG welcomes the effort to have such a
    schema and the I-D authors have used input from IPP documents, an initial
    check of the I-D text indicates that there are a few discrepancies between
    the IPP documents and the I-D, in particular when it comes to the use of
    syntaxes, and the specification of mandatory vs. optional elements.

    We have contacted the editors of the I-D and would like to work with them to
    iron out the differences before the RFC is published. We are prepared to do
    this quickly with a minimum of process delay. Having an informational RFC on
    an IPP schema now and a standards track RFC with slightly different printer
    specifications later on the same subject, would only confuse readers of RFCs
    and implementers of LDAP servers.

    Carl-Uno Manros
    Chair of IPP WG