IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> [URGENT] RE: Help - Naming proble

RE: IPP> [URGENT] RE: Help - Naming problems in SLP 'service:prin ter'

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 16:15:44 EST

    [URGENT - decision needed within 3 days]

    Hi Hugo,

    You make good points below. Tom Hastings and I have been
    noticing the same problem ('lockstep' nature of the three
    underlying IPP attributes) in the Set-Printer-Attributes
    new proposed IPP operation (e.g, what if you only set one
    of the three and now they have an unequal number of member
    values - oof!).

    Since changing the names of most of the attributes in the
    SLP 'service:printer:' to prefix them with 'printer-' (to
    allow clean translation to LDAP and other flat namespace
    directory protocols) is NOT a backward compatible change,
    the next template version will have to be 'v2.0' anyway.

    So, I hereby propose a new base syntax in IPP and a slight
    revision of your example below. Remember that since commas
    are legal in the body of URI, we still need to use the '>'
    delimiter in SLP to separate a list of URI. And since ';'
    is legal in the body of URI, we ALSO need to use some
    special character to separate parts (see example below).
    I propose to use '<' (these characters are 'safe' because
    they are 'delimiters' in RFC 2396, i.e., they stop URI
    parsing).

    A new base syntax in IPP called 'xri' (Extended Resource ID),
    as in the following example (lines folded for email length):

    printer-xri-supported =
        uri=ipp://abc.com/p1< sec=tls;ssl3< auth=basic< >
        uri=lpr://abc.com/pq< sec=none< auth=none< >

    Note that I downcased your keywords (URI, SEC, AUTH) to make
    them standard IPP keywords. There are two Extended Resource
    IDs listed in the above SLP template attribute example. In
    IPP, which explicitly supports multivalued attributes in the
    encoding (without comma or other delimiter), the first XRI
    (ipp:) would be value one and the second XRI (lpr:) would be
    value two (and they would not contain '>').

    We can't undo all the IPP products that already shipped with
    these three parallel ordered attributes, but we *can* decide
    they were a mistake and disambiguate them by *adding* the new
    synthesis attribute 'printer-xri-supported' and making the
    old separate attributes 'read-only' for 'Set-Printer-Attributes'
    operations.

    We need to make this decision ALMOST IMMEDIATELY, so that
    I can get a new I-D out for 'service:printer:' before next
    Friday (10 March)

    Cheers,
    - Ira McDonald (consulting architect at Sharp Labs America)
      High North