IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> New CUPS 1.1 beta and set-job-att

Re: IPP> New CUPS 1.1 beta and set-job-attributes extension [why not use "job-sheets"?]

From: Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 22:32:51 EST

    "Hastings, Tom N" wrote:
    > Wouldn't it be simpler to use these values in CUPS, rather than
    > introducing two new Job Template attributes?

    1. The PPE uses COLLECTIONS for this stuff
    2. Collections are still being defined.
    3. CUPS currently does not do anything with collections (it will
       store the raw data, but that is all)
    4. Without collections the job-sheets attribute cannot support
       what CUPS needs to do.

    Given those things, it is unlikely in the EXTREME that we will
    change our design this close to a final release.

    It is *possible* that we can change the names of the attributes
    to "job-sheets-*", however I am concerned that we might step on
    future attributes. Possible names:

        job-sheets-supported
        job-sheets-start-default
        job-sheets-end-default
        job-sheets-start
        job-sheets-end

    At least that would be in line with the IPP spec, but that also
    means we must support "job-sheets" and "job-sheets-default". I'm
    not sure how we would map that given the ambiguity in the spec...

    Another possibility might be to overload the "name" value to use
    "start,end" for the "job-sheets" and "job-sheets-default" attributes,
    however that might break clients that try to compare them against
    the "job-sheets-supported" values.

    In any case, any change we make now CANNOT include support for the
    PPE spec.

    Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike@easysw.com