IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> New CUPS 1.1 beta and set-job-att

RE: IPP> New CUPS 1.1 beta and set-job-attributes extension [why not use "job-sheets"?]

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 06:23:19 EST

    Jay,

    Here is a short explanation of collection vs. objects:

    We've identified at least 4 uses of collections for which objects won't
    work:

    1. "job-notify" (1setOf collection) in job creation so you can create more
    than one subscription in Job Creation operations.

    2. "printer-xri-supported" (1setOf collection) for setting the three
    parallel printer-uri-supported (1setOf uri, uri-authentication-supported
    (1setOf type2 keyword), and uri-security-supported (1setOf type2 keyword) in
    one Set-Printer-Attributes.

    3. "document-exceptions" (1setOf collection) - to supply per-document
    exceptions to the job level in Job Creation operations.

    4. "page-exceptions" (1setOf collection) - to supply per-page-range
    exceptions to the job and/or document level in Job Creation operations.

    However, the other usages of collections in Job Creation operations could be
    done as objects instead (some say better):

    a. "media-col" (collection)
    b. "job-sheet-col" (collection)
    c. "cover-front" (collection)
    d. "cover-back" (collection)
    e. "job-error-sheet" (collection)
    f. "job-accounting-sheet" (collection)
    g. "separator-sheet" (collection)
    h. font, forms, images, ICC profiles, etc....

    The idea for doing them with objects is to define a Resource container
    object that uses sub-typing to get "media", "job-sheet", "cover-front",
    "cover-back", etc.

    Then define the following operations that work on all sub-types:

       Create-Resource - the creator supplies the unique user friendly name
       Get-Resource-Attributes
       Get-Resources
       Renew-Resource
       Delete-Resource

    Some objects are just a set of attributes (media, job-sheets), and other
    have PDL data too (font, form).

    Each resource object has a unique name within its sub-type. Then in job
    creation requests, the client just supplies that unique name in order to
    specify the object by reference. If the client doesn't know what object
    name to supply in the Job Creation, the client can query the objects (with a
    filter) to let the user find an appropriate object. Then the client
    supplies that unique name in the Job Creation in order to use that media,
    job-sheet, cover, font, etc.

    Tom