IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Document-format attribute.. [ipp-

RE: IPP> Document-format attribute.. [ipp-mod] clarification

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 11:27:03 EST

    I searched both the Model and the Implementer's Guide and there isn't
    anything that explains what "auto-sensing" is.

    So, ok to add the following clarification to the [ipp-mod] document in
    section 4.1.9.1:

     using an implementation-dependent method that examines some number of
    octets of the document data

    so that it reads:

    4.1.9.1 Application/octet-stream -- Auto-Sensing the document format

    One special type is 'application/octet-stream'. If the Printer object
    supports this value, the Printer object MUST be capable of auto-sensing the
    format of the document data using an implementation-dependent method that
    examines some number of octets of the document data, either as part of the
    create operation and/or at document processing time.

    Or should we put something similar in the Implementer's Guide, instead?

    Tom